- For the cake:
- 250g raw almonds
- 120g buckwheat flour
- 500ml plant milk (I used almond milk)
- 80g coconut sugar
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- ½ bicarbonate of soda
- A pinch of salt
- 3-4 blood oranges, sliced for topping
- For the syrup:
- 6 blood oranges, juiced
- 4 cloves
- Serve with: A generous dollop of plant or organic yogurt
Recipe & images by Bettina from @ bettinas_kitchen
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
2. Start by adding your 6 juiced blood oranges to a pan along with the cloves. Bring to the boil for about 5 minutes then reduce the temperature and simmer for another 5 minutes until you have a syrup-like consistency. Set aside.
3. In a blender, add your almonds and blend until you get a fine flour.
4. Add the rest of your cake ingredients, except the toppings, to the blender with the almond mix and blend until nice and smooth.
5. Line a tray with greaseproof paper (26cm x 36cm). Transfer your cake batter to the tray and spread with a spatula or the back of a spoon until even.
6. Drizzle your syrup on top of the batter and swirl in to make a beautiful pattern. Slice your blood oranges into moon shapes, as thinly as you possibly can and arrange them artfully on top of the batter.
7. Stick your cake into the oven and let it bake for 30-40 minutes depending on the efficiency of your oven. Check the cake after 30 minutes– when a wooden stick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean, remove from the oven and let it rest.
8. Best enjoyed while still warm with a generous dollop of plant or organic yogurt.