- 4 medium onions
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 250ml English beer
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
Prep: 5 mins | Cook: 35-40 mins
1. Trim, peel and finely slice the onions. Set a deep frying pan on a medium-low heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the onions and season well with a pinch of salt and pepper. Gently fry, stirring often, for 20-25 mins till the onions are soft and well browned. Don't cook them too quickly - fry them too hard over too high a heat and they will burn before they soften. So keep the heat low and fry them slowly.
2. When the onions are very soft and brown, pour in 250ml of the beer. Gently simmer for 5-10 mins, stirirng often, till the beer has reduced and the onions are sticky.
3. Add the honey and mustard and stir well over a medium heat for 1-2 mins. Taste the onions and add a little more salt, pepper or honey if you think they need it. Scoop the onions into a warm serving dish. These onions are great piled into a burger, add them to cheese sandwiches before toasting, or serve them cold on the side of a cheeseboard or with a ploughman's salad.