- 375g butter, plus a little for greasing
- 375g Original Beans 70% Grand Virunga Dark Chocolate
- 6 medium eggs
- 500g caster sugar
- 100g dried dates
- 225g plain flour
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 40 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C. Use a small knob of butter to grease a baking tin approx 25cm/30cm. Line the baking tin with greaseproof paper.
2. Pour water into a pan till it is about 1/3 full. Pop it on the hob and bring the water to a simmer. Break the dark chocolate into small chunks and slide it into a heatproof bowl (one large enough to sit on top of the pan with the water). Cut 375g butter into cubes and add to the chocolate.
3. Put the heatproof bowl over the simmering water, making sure that the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water. Turn the heat down to very low. Melt the chocolate and butter together, stirring frequently till smooth and fully combined. Remove the bowl from the heat and pop aside to cool.
4. Break the eggs into a large bowl and pour in 500g caster sugar. Use a whisk (or use an electric mixer) to beat the mixture really well till very creamy and thick in texture. Finely chop the dates.
5. Pour the cooled melted chocolate and butter into the bowl with the sugar. Fold together using a spatula or wooden spoon. Sift in the flour and scatter in the chopped dates. Fold again, till everything is just combined.
6. Pour the contents of the bowl into the lined tin. Slide onto the middle chelf of the oven and cook for 35-45 mins, till the top is crispy and the sides start to pull away from the tin. Insert a skewer or knife into the middle to check for doneness. The brownie should be firm but still clinging a little to the skewer.
7. Allow to cool completely, then lift the brownie out of the tin and slice into pieces.