- Organic Turkey
- Bay Leaf
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
1. Take your turkey out of the fridge and unwrap at least an hour before cooking.
2. Place the bird in a roasting tin, breast-side up. Heat the oven to 220°C/Gas 7. Cut an onion into 4-6 pieces. Put some in the cavity. Halve or quarter an orange or clementine. Pop inside the cavity with a few sprigs of rosemary, thyme and/or bay and a clove or two of garlic.
3. Dust with salt and pepper – be generous with salt as it crisps up the skin. Rub in the S&P. Put the rest of the onion and some rosemary around the bird. Flip the bird over so it's breast side down. (The generous layer of fat on the back, drips down and bastes the breasts as it cooks). Do the salt and pepper rub again. Our turkeys are hand plucked and any feather stubs burn away when roasted.
4. Roast for 20-30 mins, till nicely bronzed.
5. Turn the oven down to 170°C/Gas 3 and cook for the following times:
• 4kg - 2 hours
• 5kg - 2 ½ hours
• 6kg - 3 hours
• 7kg - 3 ½ hours
• 8kg - 4 hours
• 9kg - 4 ½ hours
6. Use your insticts. Ovens differ. Your good judgement doesn't. If it seems done before time's up, do the pierce test. Pierce the fattest part of the leg with the tip of a knife. If the juices run clear, it’s done.
7. Carefully flip the bird over to brown the breast. Crank the heat back up to 220°C/Gas 7. Roast for 20 mins, or till the breast is nicely golden.
8. Rest the bird (and yourself) for at least an hour before carving.