- 150g butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 150g ground almonds
- 1 lemon
- 2 eggs
- 300g sweet shortcrust pastry
- 3-4 tbsp apricot compote
- 2 tbsp flaked or crushed whole almonds (optional)
- 1 tbsp icing sugar (optional)
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 35-40 mins
1. Warm your oven to 200°C/180°C/Gas 6.
2. Add 150g butter to a medium pan on a medium-low heat and let it slowly melt. When the butter has melted, stir in 150g ground almonds and150g caster sugar.Grate in the lemon zest and crack in both of the eggs. Stir well to make a thick mixture. Take the pan off the heat to cool slightly.
3. Grease a 22-25cm, roughly 5cm deep pie or cake tin and line it with baking paper. Roll out the pastry into a rough circle a little larger than the dish. Carefully lift the pastry into the lined dish so that the edge of the pastry overlaps at the sides. Spoon 3-4 tbsp apricot compote into the pastry case and use the back of the spoon to smooth it out in an even layer. Spoon the cooled almond mixture over the jam, then fold the sides of the pastry over the edges of the filling.
4. Scatter the flaked or crushed almonds, if using, over the top. Slide the galette into the oven and bake for 45-50 mins, till the pastry and topping are golden brown. The filling will still be quite wet, but it will firm up as the galette cools. Serve the galette in slices, with a dusting of icing sugar on top.