- 125g dates, destoned
- 250ml coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or seeds from ½ a pod
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp rum, plus extra for the fruit (optional)
- 1 pineapple
- 4 bananas
- A knob of butter or coconut oil
- A handful of desiccated coconut, toasted
1. Roughly chop your dates. Add to a saucepan with the coconut milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Simmer for 5 mins or till the dates are softened.
2. Blend the dates and spiced coconut milk to a purée. Return to the pan. Add the rum. Simmer till it thickens. And there you have it, date toffee sauce. Taste (careful, it’s hot). Add more spice, coconut or rum as you like. Set aside.
3. Cut the top and bottom off your pineapple. Carve the peel off. Cut into 2 cm-thick rings. Peel your bananas. Halve them lengthways.
4. Get a large frying pan hot. Add a good knob of butter or a bit of coconut oil. Sizzle your fruit on both sides till nicely golden and soft. Do this in batches or use two pans.
5. Warm the date toffee sauce up. Thin with a little water if needed. Arrange your golden fruit on plates or a large platter. Drizzle the sauce over. Finish with toasted coconut.