- 6 pears
- ½ vanilla pod
- 1 bottle of vodka (70cl)
- 4 tbsp sugar or 2 tbsp honey, more or less to taste
This will work well with other flavours too – try adding some almonds to the infusion.
1. Slice your pears (no need to peel or core them). The smaller the slices, the quicker the vodka will infuse. Put them in a large clean jar (or divide into smaller jars).
2. Split a vanilla pod down the middle and add half to the jar. Pour over the vodka, making sure the pears are completely covered. Add the sugar or honey to taste.
3. Seal the jar tightly and set aside in a cool, dark place to infuse. Leave for up to 2 weeks. Shake the jar every few days to mix the ingredients. Taste the vodka after 1 week – it will be ready when it tastes how you want it. The longer you leave it, the more intense the flavour will become.
4. When the vodka is ready, strain into a new jar or bottle, or into smaller bottles to give as a gift. Try serving with prosecco for festive tipple.