- Sunflower oil, for greasing
- 250g dried figs or dates
- Zest of 1 orange (optional)
- 400ml orange juice
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 100g walnut halves
- 250g jumbo porridge oats
- 50g demerara sugar
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 35 mins
1. Heat your oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4. Brush a medium tin or ovenproof dish with a little sunflower oil to grease it. Set aside.
2. Roughly chop the figs or dates, cutting off the tough stalks, and tip them into a pan. Add the orange zest (optional) and juice and the mixed spice. Cover and bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and simmer for 8-10 mins till the figs or dates are soft and plump.
3. While the dried fruit simmers, roughly chop the walnut halves. Add them to a large bowl with the porridge oats and sugar. Stir together.
4. Take the figs or dates off the heat. Use a hand-held blender to blitz them in the pan to make a smooth paste, or use a food processor to blend them. Scrape the paste into the oats. Give it a good stir to mix.
5. Spoon the oat mixture into the tin. Smooth out so it’s evenly spread. Bake for 25 mins till browned and firm to the touch. Take out of the oven, mark into squares and cool in the tin. The flapjacks will keep for up to a week in an airtight container.