- ½ vanilla pod
- 600ml milk (use full cream milk for best results)
- 4 pears
- 25g butter
- 175g risotto rice
- A good splash of cognac, white wine or pear cider (optional)
- 4 tbsp honey
- A pinch of ground cinnamon or mixed spiced
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/Gas 6.
2. Scrape the vanilla seeds from the pod. Add the seeds, pod and milk to a saucepan.
3. Simmer over low heat, till milk is nicely warm. Turn heat off.
4. Roast your pears in the oven, whole, till fully tender. About 20 mins.
5. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium sized pan. Add rice. Toast for a mo. Add the cognac/wine/cider if using. Let the rice absorb it. Add your first ladle of the vanilla milk.
6. Continue to feed the milk to your rice, stirring frequently, till most of it’s absorbed and the rice is slightly al dente with a creamy sauce. This should take about 25 mins
7. Swirl 2-3 tbsp of the honey in toward the end of cooking. Add a pinch of cinnamon/ spice. Taste. Add more honey, if needed.
8. Peel your roast pears. Pop on top of bowls of warm rice pudding. Finish with a drizzle of warmed honey and a dusting of spice.