1. Take care when cutting and leave the veg peeler behind – it’ll wreck the poor thing.
2. For champion chips, carve into chunky chips and cut off the skin. Crank the oven up to 200C/Gas 6 and heat a film of oil in a baking tray. Toss in the chips, season and coat. Cook until golden.
3. For a chunkier effect, first cut a wedge. Carve the skin off and roughly chop into pieces. The chunks’ll be tops in soup, or cut smaller for a risotto.
4. And let’s not underestimate this ugly rooty loot. It’s forking lovely raw. Just cut it into matchsticks, then toss with lemon juice, or crème fraiche, toasted nuts and herbs.
5. If all that matchstick business is too, too boring just grab your trusty grater. Grated (or matchstick) celeriac is simply grate with mayo and dijon mustard mixed through it.