- Large pinch of saffron threads
- 1 tbsp boiling water
- 250ml blood orange juice (approximately 5 oranges)
- 250g caster sugar
- 200g unsalted butter
- 8 egg yolks
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 30 mins + cooling
Makes approximately 600ml
1. Place a pinch of saffron threads in a small bowl. Cover with 1 tbsp boiling water and leave to infuse for 5-10 mins.
2. Place the remaining curd ingredients in a heatproof glass bowl. Add the saffron threads and their soaking water. Whisk together.
3. Put the bowl over a pan of simmering water (take care not to let the bottom of the bowl touch the water). Place on a gentle heat and whisk till the butter has melted and the curd is thick enough to coat the whisk. This could take 20-30 mins. If the eggs start to scramble, take the bowl off the heat straight away - it has got too hot. Keep whisking and it should cool down and come together.
4. Pour the thickened curd into a couple of sterilised jars. Leave to cool then store in the fridge for up to 2 months.