- 1 orange, zest only
- 200g ground almonds
- 120g sugar
- 50g toasted pine nuts
- 2 egg whites or 80g egg whites from carton
- 2 tsp honey
- Icing sugar, to roll
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 15 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 170°C/Fan 150°C/Gas 3. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
2. Finely grate the orange zest into a large bowl. Add the ground almonds, sugar and pine nuts and stir together to mix.
3. Pour the egg whites into a clean, non-plastic mixing bowl and add the honey. Whisk the egg whites with electric beaters till they form soft peaks. Add the stiff egg whites to the bowl with the almond mixture and gently fold together till you have a soft dough.
4. Sift a few tbsp icing sugar onto a plate.
5. Roll the amaretti dough into 18-24 walnut-sized balls with your hands, then roll in the icing sugar to coat generously. Pop the amaretti on the lined baking tray, then slide the tray into the oven and bake for 10-15 mins till just golden. Leave to cool on the tray. Serve with coffee after dinner, or as a mid-morning snack.
6. Eat Me, Keep Me
You can store the amaretti in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks, or they can be frozen for up to 3 months. They will become less chewy the longer they're stored.