- 1 orange, zest only
- 200g ground almonds
- 120g caster sugar
- 50g toasted pine nuts
- 2 egg whites (80g egg whites from carton)
- 2 tsp honey
- Icing sugar, to roll
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 15 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 170°C/Fan 150°C/Gas 3. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Finely grate the orange zest into a large bowl. Add the ground almonds, caster sugar and pine nuts to the bowl and stir together to mix.
3. Separate the egg whites into a clean, non-plastic mixing bowl and add the honey (you can use the egg yolks for an omelette or quiche). Whisk the egg whites with electric beaters till they form soft peaks. Add the stiff egg whites to the bowl with the almond mixture and gently fold together till you have a soft dough.
4. Sift the icing sugar onto a plate.
5. Roll the amaretti dough into 18-24 walnut-sized balls with your hands, then roll in the icing sugar to coat generously. Pop the amaretti on the lined baking tray, then slide the tray into the oven and bake for 10-15 mins till just golden. Leave to cool on the tray then serve with coffee after dinner, or as a mid-morning snack.
6. Store the amaretti in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks, or they can be frozen for up to 3 months. They will become less chewy the longer they're stored.