- 6 oranges
- 750ml white wine vinegar
- 900g granulated sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 nutmeg
- 10 cardamom pods
- 12 cloves
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp pink peppercorns (optional)
Pickle for at least 2 weeks before serving. Store in a cool, dry place. Enjoy within 6 months and keep refrigerated once opened.
Makes about 1.2kg or 3-4 small jars
1. Scrub the oranges. Using the cannelle knife section of your zester, you can remove strips of rind to create a striped effect. Reserve the strips of rind. This is mainly for decorative effect, so skip this step if you don't have a canelle knife.
2. Cut the oranges into 1/2cm-thick slices and flick out any pips. Place in a large pan and pour over just enough cold water to cover them. Bring to the boil, then simmer on a low heat for 5 mins. Lift the oranges out into a large bowl using a slotted spoon and discard the cooking water. Clean the pan.
3. Pour the vinegar and sugar into the cleaned pan. Tie the orange rind, nutmeg, cinnamon sticks, 4 cloves, crushed cardamom pods and black peppercorns into a muslin cloth, tie together and place in the pan. Bring to a bubble, stirring till the sugar has dissolved. Simmer for a further 1 min.
4. Carefully place the oranges into the pan. Cook on a gentle heat for 30 mins till the rind is translucent and they look glazed. Remove the pan from the heat and lift out the spice bag.
5. Lift the orange slices into hot sterilised jars using a slotted spoon. Add the pink peppercorns, if you're using them, and the remaining cloves between the layers.
6. Place the pan back onto the heat and bring to a rapid boil. Cook for 10 mins till the liquid is slightly thickened. Cool the liquid for a few mins then carefully ladle it into the jars, making sure the oranges are covered. Tap the jars on the work surface to release any air bubbles. Cover and seal.
7. Pickle for at least 2 weeks before serving. Store in a cool, dry place. Enjoy within 6 months and keep refrigerated once opened.