- 4 large or 6 smaller ripe bananas
- 6 tbsp coconut milk
- 6 tbsp sugar (any kind)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 150ml (or 8 tbsp) freshly brewed coffee
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 200g wholegrain wheat, spelt or rye flour
- A large handful of walnut halves, toasted
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Warm your oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4. Lightly oil a muffin tin, or use paper liners.
2. Mash the banana into a fairly smooth purée. Whip the coconut milk into it. Beat in the sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and coffee.
3. Sprinkle the baking soda and a pinch of salt over the mixture and mix them in. Add the flour and gently fold it through using a large spoon or spatula till it's just incorporated. Fold in half the walnuts.
4. Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin tin, filling the holes right to the top. Dot the tops with walnuts. Tap the muffin tin down a few times on the countertop – this prevents the raising agents from working before they’re supposed to.
5. Bake for 20 mins, or till golden on top and cooked through in the centre. Pierce a small knife or toothpick through the centre of a muffin to test. Remove the muffins from the tin to cool for 10 mins before eating. For added flavour you can drizzle a little date or maple syrup over the top.
6. Eat & Keep
These muffins are best eaten within 1-2 days of baking.