- for the Butterscotch Apples:
- ½ tablespoon Tideford white miso
- 70g light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 120ml single soya cream
- 70g vegan spread
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 4 apples
- 50g ground almonds
- 50g oats
- 20g light brown sugar
- 40g vegan spread
- 20g toasted, flaked almonds (optional)
Recipe & image by Tideford Organics.
*Don’t substitute the light brown sugar or vegan spread as they give this butterscotch its characteristic ‘butterscotch’ taste.
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4.
2. In a flame-proof dish combine the white miso, light brown sugar, vanilla extract, soya cream, vegan spread and mirin. (If you don’t have a flame-proof dish that’s also suitable for the oven, prepare the sauce in a saucepan before transferring it to an ovenproof dish in step 5).
3. Stir over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved, approx 3-4 mins.
4. Remove the core from the apples. If you don’t have a corer, use a knife or narrow peeler. Cut each apple in half.
5. Sit the apple halves into the butterscotch sauce, cut-side down. Cover the dish with foil and slide it into the oven for 20-25 mins, or until the apples are easily pierced with a knife.
6. Meanwhile, line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Combine the almond crumble ingredients in a bowl. Using your fingertips, rub in the vegan spread till the mixture is combined and crumbly. (It’s best to use vegan spread which is fridge cold. Initially the mixture won't resemble fine breadcrumbs but don’t worry, you can crumble it up when it’s baked).
7. Spread the almond crumble onto the lined tray. Bake for 10-12 mins, till golden brown.
8. When cooked, set the crumble aside and allow it to cool slightly. When it's cool, break up any large chunks.
9. Divide the baked apples between 4 plates. Drizzle over the butterscotch sauce and crumble over the... crumble. Top with flaked almonds and ice cream if you like (we like, you'd probably like too).