- for the Butterscotch Apples:
- ½ tablespoon Tideford white miso
- 70g light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 120ml single soya cream
- 70g vegan spread
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 4 apples
- 50g ground almonds
- 50g oats
- 20g light brown sugar
- 40g vegan spread
- 20g toasted, flaked almonds (optional)
Recipe & image by Tideford Organics.
*Don’t substitute the light brown sugar or vegan spread as they give this butterscotch its characteristic ‘butterscotch’ taste.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
2. In a flame- proof dish combine the white miso, light brown sugar, vanilla extract, soya cream, vegan spread and mirin. (If you don’t have a flame-proof dish that’s also suitable for the oven. Prepare the sauce in a saucepan before transferring it to an oven-proof dish).
3. Stir over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved, approx 3-4 mins.
4. Remove the core from the apples. If you don’t have a corer, use a knife or narrow peeler. Cut each apple in half.
5. Put the apple halves into the butterscotch sauce, cut side down. Cover it with tinfoil. Transfer the pan to the oven for approx 20-25 mins, or until the apples are easily pierced with a knife.
6. Meanwhile, line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Combine the almond crumble ingredients in a bowl. Using your fingertips, rub in the vegan spread until combined and crumbly.(It’s best to use vegan spread which is fridge cold. Initially the mixture won't resemble fine breadcrumbs but don’t worry, you can crumble it up when it’s baked).
7. Spread the almond crumble onto the greaseproof. Bake for 10-12 mins, until golden brown.
8. When cooked, set the crumble aside and allow it to cool slightly. When cool, break up any large chunks.
9. Divide the apples between four plates. Drizzle over the butterscotch sauce and crumble. Top with flaked almonds and ice cream if desired.