Bubble & Squash
An autumnal twist to the classic. Perfect capped with a poached egg for brunch. Or serve along roast chicken and a bundle of seasonal greens for a dinner as cosy and warming as an organic woolly jumper.
- 2 good-sized potatoes or 8 new potatoes
- 3-4 handfuls of squash or pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and diced
- Sea salt
- A few glugs of olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tsp ginger, freshly grated
- 1 tsp fresh chilli, finely chopped (or a pinch of chilli powder)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juice and zest (optional)
- A handful of seasonal greens, finely chopped
- A few glugs of soy sauce
- A handful of fresh coriander or parsley leaves (to serve)
1. Dice your potatoes into roughly 3 cm chunks (peel first, if you like).
2. Rinse and toss in a large pan with the peeled and diced squash. You should have roughly a 50/50 mix of squash to potato.
3. Cover with boiling water. Add a pinch of salt and a drop of olive oil. Cook for 10-15 mins, or till the veg is cooked.
4. Drain. Season with a little salt and pepper. Fold in the ginger, chilli, garlic, a grating of lime zest and a squeeze of juice. Add your greens, folding them through. Shake in a few splashes of soy sauce. Taste a bit of the mix. Adjust seasoning accordingly.
5. Get a large frying pan (roughly 26-28 cm) hot. Drizzle in enough oil to generously gloss the bottom and sides. Tumble in the spiced up potato-spud mix. Press into the pan to form a giant potato cake. You want it smooth on top and coming right to the sides of the pan.
6. Cook over medium heat till you see the sides crisping up. Give it time. Once it’s looking nicely golden on bottom (use a spatula to have a peek), carefully flip it. The easiest way is to flip it into another similar-sized pan (gloss it with oil first).
7. Continue to cook till golden on both sides.
8. Once it’s done, slide it onto a large cutting board. Finish with an extra splash or two of soy sauce, a squeeze of lime and fresh herbs scattered over the top. Cut into wedges and dish it out.
You'll need to log in to leave a rating & comment