There’s an ice cream van that pootles past our base camp - jingle music blaring - at the slightest hint of sunshine. We whip this up at the slightest hint of root veg. It’s fab, unusual and can be turned into soup too.
Whippy Winter Roots
• A swede, a few parsnips, some carrots, a celeriac or 3–4 beetroot • 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped • A few dollops of mascarpone cheese • Sea salt and freshly ground pepper • A knob of butter
The step by steps...
1. Peel and dice roots. Steam or roast with the garlic till mashably tender. Beetroot is trickier to get really soft; slow roasting gives best results.
2. Once soft, pop in a blender or food processor with a few dollops of mascarpone, salt and pepper.
3. Whip till creamy. Add butter and more seasoning, if needed.
4. If the purée isn’t as smooth as you’d like, scrape the mix through a sieve.
Delicious served with a roast or alongside fish.
You can turn it into a soup by adding stock. Or make a dip by adding lots of spices, herbs and a scattering of seeds or nuts.