Greetings earthlings, we’re celebrating Earth Day (an international movement which demonstrates support for environmental protection that’s been around since the 1970s) in style. We’re doing our bit for local wildlife and putting them up for a night or two, or however long they wish to stay in our bug hotels. And we’ll show you how you can make your own mini bug B&Bs.
Make a mini bug hotel for Earth Day
⚫ 2L plastic water bottles, tin cans, anything vaguely circular that you can squeeze twigs into
⚫ Thin twigs and branches, dried plant stems – they can be as thick or thin as you like, but gathering a variety of sizes provides homes for different species. Hollow ones will provide the best shelter too.
Step by step this way…
1. Wash bottles and tins thoroughly – any food or sugary drinks left in them will cause mould that could harm future residents
2. If using bottles, cut into 6” sections
3. Cut twigs and branches to the same length- roughly the same length as the tins/bottles
4. Squeeze twigs into the tube tightly enough so they stay in place
5. Tie string around tube so it can be hung up outside, somewhere dry, shady and sheltered