- 1 squash
- 3 red onions
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- A handful or two of leftover roast vegetables (optional)
- A couple of handfuls of leftover turkey
- 1 orange
- 1 grapefruit
- 1cm slice fresh turmeric
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 fennel bulb
- 2 clementines
- 1 pomegranate
- A handful of mint, leaves only
- A large handful of flat leaf parsley
- 100g walnut halves
- A few handfuls of peppery salad leaves
- Parmesan shavings, to serve
Prep: 30 mins | Cook: 35 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Slice into 2cm-thick wedges. Peel the onions and cut into quarters. Tumble the squash and onions onto a baking tray. Drizzle over 2 tbsp olive oil. Season generously. Roast for 20 mins.
2. After 20 mins, flip all the veg over and scatter over the fennel seeds. If you have any leftover veg you’re adding to the salad, add to the tray. Roast for a further 15 mins. The squash and onions should be soft and slightly charred. Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly.
3. Shred the cooked turkey. Place in a baking dish. Squeeze over the juice of 1 orange. Cover tightly with foil. Slide into the oven 20 mins before you want to assemble your salad.
4. Squeeze the juice from the grapefruit into a large jam jar or small blender. Peel and grate in the turmeric. Pour in 2 tbsp olive oil, the honey and cider vinegar. Add a good pinch of salt and pepper. Shake or blitz together till combined. Set aside.
5. Using a vegetable peeler, thinly shave the fennel into ribbons. Peel the clementines and slice thinly. Halve the pomegranate and place it, cut-side down, in the palm of your hand. Holding it over a bowl, whack the pomegranate with a spoon and the seeds should tumble out. Pull out any reluctant seeds.
6. Roughly chop the herbs. Toast the walnuts in a frying pan for 2-3 mins. Arrange the roast veg on a large platter. Scatter over the salad leaves, herbs and fennel. Top with the warm turkey. Drizzle over the dressing. Lightly toss everything together with your hands.
7. Arrange the clementine slices on the salad and scatter over the pomegranate seeds. Shave over some parmesan and scatter over the toasted walnuts. Serve straight away.