- 1 litre stock (veg, chicken or beef)
- 1 red or green chilli, finely sliced
- 4cm bit fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 cinnamon stick or 2 star anise
- 2 limes
- Soy or fish sauce
- Sea salt
- 125g brown or Thai rice noodles
- A little olive or sesame oil
- 2 handfuls of roughly chopped pak choi or seasonal greens
- 2 handfuls of gourmet mushrooms, sliced
- 2 handfuls of mung bean sprouts
- Fresh mint, basil and/or coriander
1. Place the stock in a pot along with half the chilli, half the ginger, the cinnamon or star anise and a grating of lime zest. Simmer for 20mins, which you prep the other ingredients.
2. Halve the limes and arrange on a platter or cutting board with the remaining chilli, bean sprouts and herbs.
3. Cook the rice noodles according the pack’s instructions, once tender rinse under cold water. Toss with a bit of oil.
4. Taste the stock, add more chilli or ginger, as needed – you want it to have a bit of bite and a touch of earthy spice. Squeeze in the juice from one of the limes. Add a dash of soy or fish sauce to give it depth. Season with a little salt.
5. Once you’re happy with it, add the noodles, pak choi and mushrooms. Warm through for a moment. Ladle between bowls, pouring as much broth over as you like. Scatter remaining
chilli, sprouts and herbs over the top. Squeeze in a bit of lime juice and get slurping!