- 150g white basmati rice
- 2 aubergines
- 2 chillies
- A handful of chives
- 2 large handfuls of baby leaf spinach*
- 25g sesame seeds
- 50g sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp cyder vinegar
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp tamari
*You can use any leafy greens in your stir-fry. If they’re baby leaves like baby kale, just add them in place of the spinach. If you're using cabbage, pak choi, chard, kale or spring greens, finely shred and add them at the same time.
1. Tip the rice into a bowl. Cover with cold water. Put to one side to soak for around 10 mins while you prepare the veg.
2. Trim the aubergines. Slice into long lengths around 1 cm thick. Finely slice the chillies – flick out the seeds for less heat (or just use 1 chilli for a mild dish). Finely chop the chives. Rinse the baby leaf spinach.
3. Fill a kettle and boil it. Drain the rice. Tip into a pan. Add 250ml hot water. Cover. Bring to the boil then turn the heat right down. Simmer for 6 mins till all the water has been absorbed.
4. Take the rice off the heat. Leave to steam with the lid on for 2-4 mins to finish cooking the rice. It’ll stay warm in the pan with the lid on for 15 mins.
5. While the rice cooks, warm a deep frying pan or wok over a medium heat. Add the sesame seeds. Toast for 2 mins till they smell nutty and are golden. Stir them while they cook to stop them burning. Tip into a bowl.
6. Warm a glug of oil in the wok. Add the aubergines. Stir-fry over a high heat for 5-6 mins till the aubergines have picked up a nice golden colour all over.
7. Add the chillies. Stir fry for 1-2 mins till the pan smells spicy. Add the sachet of sweet chilli sauce, the vinegar, sugar, 1 tbsp tamari and 150ml hot water. Simmer for 2-3 mins till the sauce is thick and sticky.
8. Stir in the spinach so it just wilts. Stir in most of the sesame seeds. Taste and add more tamari if you think it needs it. Serve the aubergines with the rice, topped with the chives and the rest of the sesame seeds.