- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- A gloss of olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 200g Thai rice noodles
- 100g Oriental leafy salad
- 2 carrots
- 2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 limes
- 1-2 tsp soy sauce
- Slices of leftover roast beef*
- A large handful of fresh coriander, basil, mint and/or chives
*If you don't want to roast an entire joint of beef to make this, you could cook up a steak, slice it thinly and use it instead. Allow 1/2-1 steak per person.
1. Get a large frying pan hot. Add a glug of oil, your onions and a pinch of salt and pepper. Lower the heat. Gently cook till the onions are meltingly tender.
2. Meanwhile, cook your rice noodles in a pot of salted boiling water for 3 mins or till tender. Drain. Rinse under cold water. Gloss with a little oil. Stir.
3. Rinse your salad leaves. Tear any bigger leaves, if needed. Arrange on plates. Pop your noodles on top. Scatter the caramelised onions over.
4. Peel your carrot into long ribbons using a veg peeler. Scatter them over the top of the salad.
5. Mix the ginger and garlic. Finely chop half the chillies (use less for a milder dressing). Mix them into the ginger/garlic along with the sugar, lime zest and juice. Add 1 tsp soy sauce. Taste. Add more soy, sugar, lime as needed. Trickle in a little cold water to mellow the flavours if you like. Drizzle half the dressing over the noodle-y salad.
6. Top with the beef. Drizzle over more dressing. Finish with a scattering of herbs.