- 150g white basmati rice
- 2 garlic cloves
- A thumb of ginger
- 1 chilli
- 50g teriyaki sauce
- 1 carrot
- ½ cabbage
- A bunch of spring onions
- A handful of wild garlic
- 2 pork escalopes
- 300ml boiling water
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp olive, sunflower or coconut oil
1. Fill your kettle and boil it. Rinse the rice under cold water, then tip it into a small pan. Pour in 300ml boiling water from the kettle. Add a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil, then pop a lid on the pan. Turn the heat right down and very gently simmer for 8 mins till the rice has absorbed all the water. Take the pan off the heat and set aside for 5-6 mins, lid on, to steam the rice and finish cooking it.
2. Meanwhile, peel and grate or crush the garlic cloves. Peel the ginger and slice it very thinly. Finely slice the chilli (you can halve it and scoop out the seeds and membrane for less heat). Slide the garlic, ginger and chilli into a small bowl. Pour in the teriyaki sauce and stir well. Set aside.
3. Trim the carrot and thinly slice it on the diagonal. Trim the base of the cabbage and cut it in half. Roughly shred the cabbage leaves of one half (pop the rest of the cabbage in the fridge to cook another day). Trim the roots and top 3cm off the spring onions, then finely slice them. Roughly shred the wild garlic leaves.
4. Pour 1 tbsp oil into a large frying pan or wok and warm to a medium-high heat. Rub the pork escalopes with salt and pepper. Add the pork to the hot pan and fry for 6-8 mins, turning every few mins, till golden and just cooked through. Use tongs to transfer the pork to a plate and allow to rest.
5. When the rice is cooked, tip it into a sieve and give the pan a quick wipe clean. Pour in 1 tbsp oil and warm to a medium heat. Slide in the spring onions and sprinkle in a pinch of salt and pepper. Fry for 2 mins, till softened. Add the rice and wild garlic leaves and stir well. Warm through for 2-3 mins, then pop the lid on the pan to keep warm.
6. Return the pan used to fry the pork (no need to clean it) back onto a medum-high heat. Slide in the chopped carrot and cabbage leaves and stir fry for 2-3 mins, till just tender with a slight bite. Return the pork to the pan and swirl in the teriyaki sauce. Warm through for a further 2 mins.
7. Pile the rice onto plates. Top with the pork and stir fried vegetables and serve.