- 75g quinoa
- 150ml boiling water
- 40g tahini
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cold water
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 25g sesame seeds
- A large handful of flat leaf parsley
- A handful of mint, leaves only
- 2 apples
- 200g carrots
1. Fill your kettle and boil it. Tip the quinoa into a sieve and rinse under cold water for a few mins to rinse off the soapy coating. Tip into a small pan. Pour in 150ml boiling water. Cover and bring to the boil. Turn the heat right down and simmer for 10-12 mins till the water has been absorbed and the quinoa is tender. Take off the heat.
2. While the quinoa simmers, squeeze the tahini into a large bowl. Zest and juice in the lemon. Add 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp cold water, some salt and pepper and stir to make a dressing.
3. Place a small frying pan on the heat for 2 mins, then add 1 tsp caraway seeds and the sesame seeds. Toast for about 2 mins till the seeds are nutty smelling, popping and slightly darkened. Shake the pan regularly. Tip onto a plate.
4. Finely chop the parsley leaves and stalks and the mint leaves. Quarter the apples and slice out their cores. Coarsely grate the apples and add them to the dressing, stirring though to stop them browning. Trim, peel and coarsely grate the carrots and add them to the bowl. Add half the toasted seeds to the bowl and stir.
5. Tip in the cooked quinoa and most of the chopped herbs and fold through. Taste the slaw and add more salt or pepper if you think it needs it. Divide the slaw salad between 2 plates, top with the remaining toasted seeds and herbs to serve.