- 2 lemons
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 4 chicken thighs & 4 chicken drumsticks
- 1 kg potatoes
- 1 fennel bulb
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 300g asparagus
- A large handful of wild garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
You can marinate the chicken up to 24 hours in advance. This will not only save you a bit of time, but it will also maximise the flavours the chicken absorbs. Put the chicken and its marinade in a sealed container in the fridge then follow the recipe.
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4. Finely grate the zest from 1 lemon into a large bowl and squeeze in the juice. Peel and finely grate the garlic into the bowl. Tip in 2 tsp fennel seeds and add a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Pour in 1 tbsp olive oil and mix well.
2. Using a sharp knife, score the skin on each chicken piece 3 or 4 times. Add the chicken to the bowl and mix well to coat it in the marinade. Set to one side (see our tip above for getting ahead).
3. Scrub the potatoes and cut them in half. Trim the dry tips off the fennel bulb, halve it then cut it into thick slices. Cut the remaining lemon into 6 wedges. Tumble the potatoes, fennel and lemon wedges into a large, shallow roasting tin or baking tray and toss with 1 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
4. Place the marinated chicken thighs and drumsticks on top of the veg and pour over the extra marinade from the bowl. Slide into the hot oven for 30 mins.
5. After 30 mins, dot over the cherry tomatoes and slide the tin back into the oven for 15 mins.
6. Meanwhile, snap the woody ends off the asparagus spears. When the tomatoes have cooked for 15 mins, add the asparagus spears to the tin and pop back in the oven for 15 mins. Meanwhile, finely chop the wild garlic.
7. The chicken will now have cooked for a total of 1 hr. It should be crisp and golden and cooked through. Check by inserting a sharp knife into one of the thighs – the juices should run clear. If not, remove the tomatoes and asparagus from the tin and slide it back into the oven to cook a little longer, till the chicken is cooked. Top the tray bake with the chopped wild garlic to serve.