- 150g white basmati rice
- 1 onion
- 3 vine tomatoes
- A handful of coriander
- ½-1 tbsp Goan curry paste
- ½ tbsp tamarind paste
- 200ml coconut milk
- 100g 50/50 crab meat
- 300ml boiling water
- Sea salt
- 1 tbsp coconut or olive oil
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 15 mins
1. Fill and boil your kettle. Rinse the rice under cold water and tip it into a small pan. Add 300ml boiling water and a pinch of salt. Cover, bring to the boil then turn the heat right down. Gently cook for 8 mins till all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender. Take the pan off the heat and let it sit, lid on, for 5 mins to finish cooking the rice. It will stay warm in the pan.
2. While the rice is cooking, peel and finely chop the onion. Place a deep frying pan or wok on a medium heat and warm 1 tbsp oil. Add the onion and fry for 5 mins till it's glossy but not coloured. Turn the heat down if you need to.
3. Meanwhile, chop the tomatoes into a small dice. Finely chop the coriander leaves and stalks.
4. When the onion has cooked for 5 mins, add the tomato and half the coriander. Add ½-1 tbsp Goan curry paste (it's spicy, so use as little or as much as you prefer) and ½ tbsp tamarind paste. Stir well and cook for 3 mins till the tomatoes have softened slightly. Pour in the coconut milk and bring up to a bubble.
5. Add the crab meat and stir. Cook for 1 min to warm the crab through. Taste the curry and add more salt or tamarind paste if you think it needs it (see our tip on how to use up your leftover tamarind).
6. Fluff the rice and divide it between a couple of warm bowls. Spoon over the crab curry and garnish with the remaining coriander to serve.