- 500g mixed beetroot
- A handful of thyme, leaves only
- 1 lemon
- 35g walnuts
- 50g baby leaf spinach
- A large handful of flat leaf parsley
- 100g sheep's cheese
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 25 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Scrub the beets clean and use a sharp knife to cut the beetroot into 1cm slices. Scatter the slices evenly in a roasting tin. Pick the thyme leaves and sprinkle on top, along with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Drizzle over 1 tbsp oil and toss everything together till coated. Slide into the oven and roast for 25 mins, till tender and slightly caramelised.
2. Meanwhile, make the dressing. Finely grate the lemon zest into a small bowl and squeeze in the juice. Whisk in 1 tbsp oil and a little salt and pepper till well combined.
3. When the beetroot has roasted for 20 mins, remove the roasting tin from the oven. Sprinkle the walnut halves over the beetroot and return to the oven for the final 5 mins.
4. Roughly chop the parsley and slide into a large bowl. Add the spinach leaves. When the beetroot and nuts are cooked, toss them into the bowl and pour in the dressing. Give everything a good mix.
5. Divide the beetroot salad onto plates and dot over small spoonfuls of the sheep’s cheese. Crack a little pepper over the top and serve.