- 500g potatoes
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 35g flaked almonds
- 200g purple sprouting broccoli
- 5 tbsp cold water
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- A handful of mint, leaves only
- 50g watercress
1. Scrub the potatoes and cut them into chunky bite-sized pieces. Tumble the potatoes into a pan and cover with water. Sprinkle in a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 mins, till tender.
2. While the potatoes cook, put a dry frying pan on a medium heat and add the flaked almonds. Toast for 2-3 mins till browned. Tip the flaked almonds into a bowl.
3. Trim any woody ends off the purple sprouting broccoli. Halve any thick stems so that the pieces are roughly the same thickness. Put the empty frying pan used to cook the almonds back on a high heat. Add the broccoli and fry in the dry pan for 2-3 mins, till slightly charred on the outside. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour in 5 tbsp cold water and stir well. Continue to cook for a further 3-4 mins, till the water has evaporated and the broccoli is tender with a slight bite. Slide the cooked broccoli into a large bowl.
4. Squeeze the lemon juice into a small bowl. Spoon in 1 tbsp Dijon mustard and 1 tbsp olive oil. Sprinkle in a little salt and pepper and whisk with a fork to make a dressing. Shred the mint leaves.
5. Drain the potatoes and allow them to steam dry. Toss them into the bowl with the broccoli. Pour over the dressing and stir to combine. Fold in the watercress leaves and the shredded mint. Divide the salad between plates and finish with a scattering of the toasted almonds.