- 250g beef stir-fry strips
- 1 lemon
- 60g pesto alla Genovese
- 200g purple sprouting broccoli
- 250g baby plum tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- 200g chifferini or fusilli pasta
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
1. Fill and boil the kettle. Halve the baby plum tomatoes. Trim the dry ends from the purple sprouting broccoli, then chop the stalks into 2cm-thick lengths, including the leaves (these are edible). Set aside.
2. Peel and grate the garlic clove into a bowl. Zest in the lemon and squeeze in the juice from half the lemon. Add the pesto and a good pinch of salt and pepper, then stir to mix. Set to one side.
3. Pour the water from the kettle into a medium pan. Add a pinch of salt and bring back up to the boil. Once the water is boiling, add in the chifferini pasta and cook on a medium heat for 6 mins.
4. Meanwhile, place a deep frying pan or wok on a high heat for 2 mins, then pour in 1 tbsp olive oil. Add in the beef stir-fry strips and stir fry for 2 mins, till browned all over. Add the baby plum tomatoes and fry for 5-6 mins, stirring every now and then, till the tomatoes have just softened.
5. When the pasta has cooked for 6 mins, add the purple sprouting broccoli to the pasta. Simmer for a further 3 mins till the pasta is cooked through but still with some bite and the broccoli is just tender. Scoop out a mugful of the cooking water (or use a ladle to scoop the water out). Drain the pasta and purple sprouting broccoli.
6. Stir the lemony pesto into the beef and tomatoes. Tip in the drained pasta and broccoli and stir to combine. Slowly trickle in some of the pasta cooking water if you need to loosen the sauce a little (this is optional).
7. Taste the pasta and add a pinch of salt or pepper if you think it needs it. Serve on warmed plates with a good crack of black pepper and the remaining lemon half cut into wedges to squeeze over.