- 50g bulgar wheat
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- ½ lemon
- ½ orange
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 beetroot (approximately 200g)
- 1 apple
- 4 spring onions
- 100g mixed soft herbs (such as dill, flat leaf parsley, tarragon, mint, chervil)
- 50g watercress
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 10 mins
1. Tip the bulgar wheat into a bowl pour over boiling water, covering the bulgar wheat by 1cm. Leave to soak.
2. Toast the coriander seeds in a dry frying pan for a couple of mins till popping and fragrant. Lightly crush in a pestle and mortar.
3. Zest and juice half an orange and half a lemon into a large bowl. Add the crushed coriander seed and 1 tbsp olive oil. Season generously with salt and pepper and whisk together. Set aside.
4. Scrub the beetroot. Coarsely grate it (no need to peel it, but you can if you prefer). Quarter the apple and slice out the core. Coarsely grate the apple. Add the beetroot and apple to the bowl with the citrus dressing and toss together.
5. Trim the roots off the spring onions, then thinly slice the spring onions.
6. Finely chop your choice of herbs and any thick watercress stalks. Roughly chop thesofter watercress leaves and stalks.
7. The bulgar wheat should have absorbed all the water. if not, drain off any excess. Fluff the bulgar wheat with a fork and fold it through the dressed apple and beetroot.
8. Add the spring onions, herbs and watercress. Toss them through the ruby salad just before serving.