- 200g mushrooms
- 1 small head of broccoli
- 150g penne pasta
- A splash of olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp plain white flour
- 45g butter
- 500ml whole milk
- 100g Perl Las cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Fill a pan with water. Add a pinch of salt. Cover. Bring to the boil. Rinse and finely slice the mushrooms. Break the broccoli into small florets.
2. Add the pasta to the boiling water. Simmer 5 mins then add the broccoli. Simmer without the lid on for 3 more mins. Drain and tip into an ovenproof dish.
3. While the pasta cooks, add a splash of oil to a pan. Add the mushrooms. Season. Fry over a medium heat for 5-8 mins. Stir till the mushrooms are golden. Add to the pasta.
4. Mash the flour and butter together with a fork. Measure the milk into the empty mushroom pan. Bring to the boil. Stir so it doesn’t stick and burn. When just boiling, add the butter and flour. Whisk constantly for about 8-10 mins till the sauce begins to thicken.
5. Crumble 100g of Perl Las cheese. Add most of it to the sauce. Whisk in till it melts. Taste the sauce. Add salt and pepper if it needs it. Pour the sauce over the pasta.
6. Scatter the remaining crumbled cheese over the top of the pasta. Bake for 30 mins till the cheese sauce is bubbling and golden. Serve straight away.