- 1 slice of well buttered toast, torn into bite-sized chunks
- A few glugs of olive oil
- 1 punnet of mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- A glug of balsamic, soy sauce or a dollop of marmite
- A handful of fresh herbs
- 6 eggs, whisked and seasoned
- 2 good handfuls of cheese (grated cheddar, Parmesan or Duddleswell, Abergavenny, Taleggio, etc.)
Lovely with a steamy cuppa and grilled tomatoes. Or dish up with crisp green leaves in a tangy vinaigrette and a glass of wine.
1. Heat your oven grill to high.
2. Sizzle your mushrooms in a small hot frying pan glossed with olive oil and/or butter. Cook till golden. Add more oil as needed. Add garlic and a splash of balsamic, soy or a swirl of marmite at the end.
3. Season. Top with herbs.
4. Dot toast hunks in and around the mushrooms. Dust or dot with cheese. Pour eggs in. Add a few more herbs.
5. Pop under grill till bubbly, golden and set.
6. Move from oven. Cool a little. Grate extra cheese over the top, if you wish. Slices into wedges. Serve.