- 200ml port + a splash or two
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 6 shallots, peeled and thickly sliced
- 4 sprigs of thyme, leaves only
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 900g mixed exotic mushrooms (shiitake, oyster, chestnut, portobello are all delicious
- 300g baby potatoes (such as pink fir) cooked
- 6 bay leaves
- 6 slices of goat's cheese (optional)
- Caramelised walnuts to serve (optional)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 100g walnuts
- 1 tbsp Demerara sugar
- 2 sprigs of rosemary, leaves finely chopped
- A pinch of sea salt
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200C/Fan 180C/Gas 6.
2. Pour the port and olive oil into a large bowl. Add in the sliced garlic, shallots and thyme and stir. Zest in the lemon.
3. Thickly slice any large mushrooms, keeping as many as whole as possible.
4. Cut the potatoes into 1 cm slices. Add the potatoes and mushrooms to the bowl and gently toss together with your hands. Season to taste.
5. Cut 6 pieces of parchment into 35cmx 35cm square. Divide the mix between the 6 squares. Place a bay leaf on top. If you are using goats cheese pop a slice on top of the bay leaf.
6. Bring the corners of the parchment together and scrunch to form a tight parcel. Tie with oven proof string to secure. Place on a baking tray or two.
7. Slide into the oven and cook for 20 mins.
8. Remove from the oven and leave for a couple of mins before opening. Serve in the paper with the caramelised walnuts.
9. To make the caramelised walnuts: melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the sugar, walnuts and rosemary. Cook for 3-4 mins, stirring. Then lay on a lined baking tray. When cooled roughly chop and scatter over the mushrooms.