- 200g risotto rice
- 1 lemon
- 2 leeks
- 2 celery sticks
- 1 onion
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 35g flaked almonds
- A handful of rosemary, leaves only
- 2 garlic cloves
- 50g peppery salad mix
- 1 pear
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 650ml boiling water
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 40-50 mins
1. Peel and finely chop the onion. Finely dice the celery sticks. Halve the leeks and wash out any trapped dirt. Finely slice them. Peel and grate the garlic cloves.
2. Set a large pan on the heat for a couple of mins. When warm, drizzle in 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the onion, celery and leeks and cook on a gentle heat for 5-6 mins till just softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 min. Stir every now and then.
3. Meanwhile, dissolve the stock cube in 650ml boiling water. Finely chop the rosemary leaves. Tip the risotto rice into the cooked veg and stir to coat in the oil. Add the chopped rosemary.
4. Add a couple ladlefuls of the stock and stir. Add another when the stock has absorbed. Continue until you have used all the stock and the rice is tender. This could take 30-40 mins.
5. In between adding the stock and stirring, zest and juice the lemon into a small jug.
6. Whisk the mustard and cider vinegar with ½ tbsp olive oil and some seasoning. Quarter the pear and slice out the core. Finely slice it. Toss it through the mustardy dressing to stop it from turning brown.
7. Tip the almonds into a frying pan and toast for 2-3 mins till golden. Transfer to a bowl. Add half the lemon zest and juice to the risotto. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Add more lemon to taste.
8. Toss the dressed pears and mustard dressing through the peppery salad mix. Spoon the risotto into warm bowls. Scatter over the toasted flaked almonds to serve.