- ½ green cabbage
- 3 carrots
- A thumb of ginger
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 chilli
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- A small handful of curry leaves/bay leaves
- 200g white basmati rice
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 200ml coconut milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 10 mins
1. Separate the cabbage leaves and give them a good rinse. Slice out the hard middle core from each leaf. Finely slice the leaves.
2. Peel the carrots and coarsely grate them.
3. Peel the ginger and garlic and finely grate them. Halve the chilli, scoop out the white seeds and finely chop the chilli (if you like your curries hot, leave the seeds in).
4. Warm 1 tbsp olive oil in your frying pan. Chuck in the cumin, curry leaves, garlic, ginger and chilli. Let them sizzle for 30 seconds, giving them a good stir to flavour the oil.
5. Stir in the cabbage and carrot. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, turning the veg over every so often, till the cabbage is glossy and starting to soften.
6. While the cabbage cooks, fill a pan with hot water. Bring it to the boil. Add the rice. Cover and simmer for 8–10 mins. When the rice is tender with a little bite, it’s ready.
7. When the cabbage starts to wilt, stir in the turmeric, garam masala and coconut milk.
8. Simmer, stirring now and then, for a few mins to finish cooking the cabbage. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Drain the rice and serve with the curry.