- 150g quinoa
- 300ml boiling water
- Sea salt
- 1 red onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100g kale
- 1 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 1tbsp Worcester sauce
- 200g breakfast scramble
1. Fill your kettle and boil it. Tip the quinoa into a sieve and rinse under cold water, stirring constantly. This helps to rinse off the soapy coating that can make the quinoa taste bitter. Tip the quinoa into a small pan. Pour in 300ml boiling water and add a pinch of salt. Pop a lid on the pan, bring to the boil and then turn the heat right down. Gently simmer the quinoa for 10-12 mins till the quinoa absorbs the water and becomes tender.
2. Peel and finely slice the red onion. Halve the red pepper and scoop out the seeds and white pith. Finely slice the pepper.
3. Warm a deep frying pan or wok over a mediumhigh heat. Add 1 tbsp oil and the red onion and pepper. Frying, stirring often, for 8 mins till the onion and pepper are lightly coloured and tender.
4. While the veg fry, strip the soft kale leaves off their woody sprigs. Rinse the leaves, then finely shred them. When the veg are lightly browned, add the kale. Fry, stirring often, for 3 mins. The kale leaves will soften and turn dark green.
5. Add 1 tbsp each Thai red curry paste and Worcester sauce. Cook and stir for 1 min. Crumble the breakfast scramble into the pan and fry, stirring, for 2-3 mins.
6. The quinoa should be cooked by now. Drain off any excess water, then tip the quinoa into the pan. Cook and stir for 1 min.
7. Taste the quinoa scramble and add a pinch of salt if you think it needs it. Divide the quinoa scramble between 2 warm plates or bowls and serve.