- 150g white basmati rice
- 1 garlic clove
- A thumb of ginger
- 1 chilli
- ½ green cabbage
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp tamari sauce
- 2 salmon fillets
- A handful of sesame seeds (optional)
1. Pop the rice in a bowl. Pour in enough cold water to cover it. Put it to one side to soak. Heat the oven to 220°C/Fan 200°C/Gas 7.
2. Peel and grate the garlic and the ginger. Finely slice the chilli into rounds – flick out the seeds for a milder dish. Separate half the cabbage leaves. Rinse them. Finely slice the leaves.
3. Mix half the garlic and ginger with the hoisin sauce and 1 tbsp of the tamari. Taste and add more tamari if you think it needs it. Fill a kettle and boil it.
4. Brush an ovenproof dish with a little olive oil. Pop the salmon in it. Thickly brush or spoon the marinade all over the salmon.
5. Drain the rice. Tip into a pan. Pour in 250ml hot water from the kettle. Bring to the boil. Cover. Pop on a low heat. Simmer for 6 mins till the water has been absorbed. Let it steam, lid on, for another 2-3 mins.
6. Cook the salmon in the oven for 10 mins till it’s cooked through. While it cooks, warm a splash of oil in a wok or deep frying pan. Add the cabbage. Stir-fry for 5 mins till they’re glossy looking.
7. Add the leftover garlic and ginger with the chilli. Stir-fry for a min or so.
8. Add most of the sesame seeds to the cabbage. Turn over a few times in the pan to mix them. Serve with the salmon, the rice and the rest of the sesame seeds sprinkled on top.