- 50g bulgar wheat
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- ½ lemon
- ½ orange
- 1 beetroot, weighing approximately 200g
- 1 apple
- 4 spring onions
- 100g mixed soft herbs (such as dill, flat leaf parsley, tarragon, mint, chervil)
- 50g watercress
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 10 mins
1. Fill your kettle and boil it. Tip the bulgar wheat into a bowl pour over enough boiling water to cover the bulgar wheat by 1cm. Cover the bowl with a plate and set aside to soak for 10-15 mins.
2. Toast the coriander seeds in a dry frying pan for a couple of mins till popping and fragrant. Lightly crush in a pestle and mortar.
3. Zest and juice half an orange and half a lemon into a large bowl. Add the crushed coriander seeds and 1 tbsp olive oil. Season generously with salt and pepper and whisk together to make a dressing. Set aside.
4. Scrub the beetroot. Coarsely grate it (no need to peel it, but you can if you prefer). Quarter the apple and slice out the core. Coarsely grate the apple. Add the beetroot and apple to the bowl with the citrus dressing and toss together.
5. Trim the roots off the spring onions, then thinly slice the spring onions, discarding any ragged greens. Finely chop your choice of herbs and any thick watercress stalks. Roughly chop the more tender watercress leaves and stalks.
6. The bulgar wheat should have absorbed all the water. if not, drain off any excess. Fluff the bulgar wheat with a fork and fold it through the dressed apple and beetroot.
7. Add the spring onions, herbs and watercress. Toss them through the ruby salad just before serving.