- 1 onion
- 2 vine tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- 1 lemon
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 200g risotto rice
- 340g fish pie mix
- 50g peppery salad mix
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 600ml boiling water
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Peel and finely chop the onion. Dice the tomatoes. Warm a deep frying pan or wok for 1 min, then add 1 tbsp olive oil and the diced veg. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring now and then, for 5 mins till the veg have started to soften.
2. While the veg fry, peel and grate or crush the garlic. Finely chop the parsley stalks (keep the leaves for later). Finely grate the zest from the lemon. Crumble the stock cube into a jug and stir in 600ml boiling water to dissolve it.
3. Stir the garlic, parsley stalks and lemon zest into the veg. Add 1 tsp each smoked paprika and turmeric. Cook and stir for 1 min.
4. Stir the rice into the pan to coat it into the spices, then pour in the stock. Pop a lid on the pan, or cover the pan with a baking tray. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and gently simmer for 20 mins till most of the water has been absorbed.
5. While the rice simmers, juice half the lemon into a small bowl. Whisk with 1/2 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper to make a zesty dressing. Set aside for later.
6. Add the fish pie mix to the rice pan and gently stir to mix. Pop the lid back on the pan and cook for 5-6 mins till all the water has been absorbed. Take the pan off the heat and let it steam, lid on, for 2-3 mins to finish cooking the rice and the fish. The rice should be tender and the fish flake easily when pressed with a fork.
7. While the paella steams in the pan, toss the salad leaves with the lemon dressing to lightly coat.
8. Serve the paella on warm plates with the salad on the side. Chop the remaining lemon into wedges for squeezing over. Garnish with the parsley leaves, roughly chopped.