- 400g flat peaches
- 100g mozzarella
- A handful of basil, leaves only
- 1 avocado
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 50g lambs lettuce
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cold water
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Short cucumber
1. Halve the peaches and remove the stones with a spoon. Set to one side.
2. Pop 1 peach half into a small food processor or blender. Add 4 basil leaves and zest in the lemon. Squeeze in the juice from 1 half. Pour in 2 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp cold water. Add salt and pepper. Blitz till smooth then taste. Add more salt or pepper if it needs it. This is your dressing. No processor? Finely chop the peach, then pop in a bowl and mash as much as possible with a fork or masher. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to mix.
3. Place a small, dry pan on a medium heat for a few mins. When warm, toss in the fennel seeds and toast for 2 mins. Tip the seeds into a small bowl.
4. Peel the cucumber (the skin can be bitter, but you can also leave it unpeeled it you prefer). Halve the cucumber lengthways, then halve each half again. Chop into long diagonal pieces about 1cm-thick.
5. Thinly slice the peach halves. Halve the avocado and carefully remove the stone with a spoon. Scoop out the flesh. Thinly slice the avocado.
6. Tumble the lamb’s lettuce into a serving bowl. Scatter in the peaches, cucumber and avocado. Toss through most of the peach dressing.
7. Roughly tear the mozzarella ball into pieces and arrange on the top of the salad. Sprinkle over the fennel seeds and spoon over the remaining dressing. Tear over the remaining basil leaves and crack over some black pepper to serve.