- 1 delicata squash
- 3 pears
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lemon
- 45g parmesan
- A handful or two of rocket
- A handful of mint, leaves only
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp almonds
- A pinch or two of dried chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 5 mins
1. Trim the top and base off the delicata squash. Peel the squash and slice it in half lengthways. Scoop out the seeds. Use a vegetable peeler to create long thin ribbons of squash. Tumble the squash into a large bowl. Peel the pears and slice them into quarters. Slice out and discard the cores. Slice the pears into thin strips and add to the squash. Pick the mint leaves and scatter into the bowl.
2. Peel the garlic clove and grate it into a small bowl. Grate in the lemon zest and squeeze in half the juice. Pour in 2 tbsp oil and add a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Stir well to combine. Pour the dressing over the squash and pears and scrunch together till well coated. Pop the salad to one side.
3. Crush 2 tbsp whole almonds in a pestle and mortar or with a rolling pin into small pieces. Warm a frying pan to a medium heat. Scatter in the crushed almonds, 1 tbsp fennel seeds, 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds and a pinch or two of dried chilli flakes. Sprinkle with 2 tbsp caster sugar. Fry for 4-5 mins, stirring frequently, till the seeds and nuts are golden. Tip the contents of the pan into a small bowl and allow to cool slightly.
4. Scatter the rocket leaves into the bowl with the squash. Shave in shards of the parmesan. Sprinkle in half of the seeds and nuts. Give the salad one last fold to combine. Pile the salad onto plates serve topped with the remaining toasted seeds and nuts.