- 2 onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- A handful of thyme, leaves only
- 100g mature cheddar
- 2 large handfuls of clean potato, carrot and/or parsnip peelings
- 100g plain flour
- 4 eggs
- A few handfuls of salad leaves
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Warm your oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4. Peel and thinly slice the onions. Peel and thinly slice the garlic cloves. Pick the thyme leaves off their stalks. Coarsely grate the cheddar.
2. Tip the clean vegetable peelings into a large bowl and add the sliced onions, garlic, thyme and cheddar. Season with a good pinch of salt and pepper and toss to combine. Stir in the flour and mix till it coats the ingredients.
3. Pour 3 tbsp oil into a large frying pan and warm over a medium-high heat. Use your hands to shape the peel mixture into round patties – these are your röstis. Add 3-4 röstis to the pan. Fry for 3-4 mins on each side, till golden brown, then transfer the fried rostis to a baking tray. Repeat the cooking with the remaining peel mixture and arrange them on the baking tray. Slide the tray into the oven and bake the röstis for 10 mins.
4. When the röstis are nearly cooked, pop the empty frying pan back on a medium heat and add an extra 1 tbsp oil. Crack in the eggs and fry them for 3-4 mins, till the yolks and whites are set to your liking.
5. Divide the röstis between four warm plates and serve topped with the fried eggs and with a handful of salad leaves on the side.