- 150g plain flour
- 45g butter
- 100g cheddar
- 1 egg
- 2 leeks
- 400g chestnut mushrooms
- A handful of sage, leaves only
- 1 lemon
- 250ml whole milk
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 100g kale
- 1-2 tbsp ice-cold water
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 25 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 7. Begin by making the pastry. Tip the flour into a bowl, setting 2 tbsp aside for later. Coarsely grate in the butter. Rub the flour and butter together to create a breadcrumb-like texture. Finely grate in half the cheddar and lightly rub that in.
2. Beat the egg. Pour half of it into the butter and flour. Mix together with a fork. Trickle in 1-2 tbsp cold water till you have a smooth, but not too wet dough. Lightly knead. Wrap in cling film and pop it into the fridge to rest.
3. Slice the leeks into 1cm-thick rounds. Thickly slice the mushrooms. Heat a large frying pan for a couple of mins. Drizzle in 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the leeks and mushrooms. Fry for 5 mins till the veg has softened slightly.
4. While the leeks and mushrooms are cooking, finely shred the sage. Zest the lemon. Finely grate the remaining cheese.
5. Add the sage to the pan. Sprinkle in 1 tbsp of the reserved flour and stir to evenly coat the veg. Slowly pour in 250ml milk, stirring constantly. Spoon in 1 tbsp mustard and sprinkle in the grated cheese. Season generously. Stir together well. Simmer for 5 mins.
6. While the pie filling is simmering, dust your work surface with the remaining 1 tbsp plain flour. Unwrap the pastry and roll it into a large thin piece (round or rectangular, depending on the shape of your pie dish), approx ½cm thick.
7. Taste and adjust the seasoning of the mushroom pie filling if necessary. Spoon it into a pie or baking dish. Cut the rolled pastry to cover the pie. Tuck the edges into the sides of the filling. If you have any excess pastry left, you can cut shapes to decorate your pie. Brush the top of the pastry with the remaining beaten egg, sticking on any decoration with it if necessary. Sprinkle over some black pepper.
8. Slide the pie into the oven for 20 mins till the top is golden and crisp. Meanwhile, finely shred the kale. Heat ½ tbsp oil in a large frying pan or wok. Add the kale and stirfry for 2-3 mins till tender. Add the lemon zest. Squeeze over a little lemon juice and season.
9. Remove the cheesy mushroom and leek pie from the oven and cut it into large slices. Serve with the stir-fried lemony kale.