- 2 shallots
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 pepper
- 1 mango
- 1 lime
- 100g Cheddar
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 chilli
- A handful of coriander
- 400g tin of black beans
- 50g baby leaf spinach
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 white tortillas*
1. Start by making the salsa: peel and finely slice the shallots. Pop in a large bowl. Finely dice and add the tomatoes. Halve the pepper. Scoop out the seeds and chop it to match the tomatoes. Add half the pepper to the bowl, saving half for later.
2. Slice the fat cheeks off the mango, as close to the stone as possible. Slice off the thinner sides. Finely chop the flesh, discarding the skin. Add to the bowl. Zest and juice in the lime. Season with salt and pepper. Stir together to make a salsa. Set aside.
3. Coarsely grate the cheddar. Pop in a small pan. Add 2 tsp smoked paprika. Peel and grate in the garlic. Halve the chilli, discarding the seeds and white pith. Finely chop it and add to the pan. Finely slice the coriander stalks and add them to the pan. Set the leaves aside for later.
4. Drain and rinse the black beans. Stir them into the pan with the remaining chopped pepper. Roughly chop half the spinach and add that too. Season the mix generously with salt and pepper.
5. Warm the cheese mix over a medium-low heat for 4-6 mins, stirring, till the cheese is melted and the spinach has wilted. Take off the heat. Lay 2 tortillas on your work surface. Divide the cheese mix between them and spread evenly. Top each with another tortilla and press down gently. These are your quesadillas.
6. Heat your oven to its lowest setting. Warm a large, non-stick frying pan on a medium heat for 2 mins. Add a quesadilla to the pan. Fry for 2-3 mins till the quesadilla is golden brown underneath.
7. Carefully flip the quesadilla over with a spatula or palette knife. Or put a large plate over the top of the pan and turn over to flip the quesadilla onto the plate. Slide back into the frying pan, uncooked-side down. Cook for 2-3 mins till golden underneath. Slide onto a plate and keep warm in the oven while you cook the second quesadilla.
8. Slice the quesadillas into quarters. Fold the coriander leaves through the mango salsa and serve with the quesadillas and the remaining spinach on the side.