- 2 leeks or onions
- 2 carrots
- 400g chestnut mushrooms
- A handful of flat leaf parsley (optional)
- 400g tin of aduki or red kidney beans
- 400g tin of cannellini beans
- 1 tbsp Italian herb blend / mixed herbs
- 150g dried red lentils
- 690g passata
- 100g cheddar
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 10 mins Cook: 50-55 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4.
2. Prepare the veg:
Trim the roots and any woody greens off the leeks. Slice a cross in the top of the leeks, open them out and rinse out any grit. Finely slice the leeks. If using onions instead of the leeks, peel and thinly slice the onions. Trim and roughly chop the carrots (no need to peel unless you prefer to). Tear the mushroom into small pieces.
3. Cook the beans and lentils:
Put a large pan or shallow casserole dish on a medium heat and add 2 tbsp olive oil. Add the leeks or onions, carrots and mushrooms and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Fry, stirring often, for 10 mins till the veg are tender and slightly browned. If they start to colour too much, turn the heat down and add a few tbsp water.
4. While the veg fry, finely chop the parsley stalks (if using). Set the leaves aside for later. Drain both types of beans and rinse under cold water.
5. Stir the parsley stalks and the Italian seasoning into the veg. Tip in the drained beans and the red lentils. Pour in the passata and stir to mix. Pop on a lid, bring to the boil, then turn the heat down a little and simmer for 20 mins. Stir every so often to stop the sauce sticking. It should thicken and then beans and lentils will become tender.
6. While the beans and lentils simmer, coarsely grate the cheddar.
7. Into the oven:
When the beans and lentils are tender, taste the sauce and add a pinch more salt and pepper if you think it needs it. If you've cooked the beans in an ovenproof casserole dish, you can sprinkle over the breadcrumbs and cheddar. Otherwise, ladle the bean and lentil sauce into a medium ovenproof dish. Sprinkle over the breadcrumbs and cheddar. Slide the dish into the oven and bake for 15-20 mins till golden and bubbling.
8. Roughly chop the parsley leaves. When the bake is ready, scoop into warm bowls and serve garnished with the parsley.