- 3 glugs of vegetable oil or sunflower oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ a thumb of ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp chilli powder, to your taste (optional)
- Enough new potatoes for 4, scrubbed and cut into 2.5cm pieces
Prep: 5 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Heat the oil in a hot, lidded frying pan and fry the cumin and mustard seeds for a minute or so until they pop. Now add the ginger, garlic and onion and continue frying for a further minute before adding the turmeric, garam masala and chilli powder (optional). Cook for 1 more minute.
2. Now turn the heat down to low and add the potatoes to the pan. Mix in half a mug of water, put the lid on and continue cooking for about 10-15 minutes, stirring regularly, or until the potatoes are just tender. You may need to add a little extra water to stop them sticking to the pan as they cook. Add just what you need to keep the potatoes mobile in the pan, though, so they're quite dry when you serve them.