- 1 chicken liver
- A lump of butter the size of the liver, plus 2 tbsp to seal the top
- 1-2 prunes, thinly sliced (or 1 tbsp chopped raisins)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 3 tbsp brandy
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Pair with a glass of wine, seasonal veg and a great loaf of organic bread.
1. Place a small frying pan over medium heat. Add ½ tbsp of butter. When it’s frothy, add the liver. Cook for a min or two on each side, till it goes from burgundy to pinky grey. Put the liver in a food processor or blender.
2. Back on the heat, soften the prunes, thyme and garlic in the same pan for a mo. Carefully add the brandy. Let it bubble up and reduce a tad.
3. Scrape it all into the blender. Add the remaining butter (bar the bit for the top). Blitz till creamy. Spoon into a small jam or kilner jar.
4. Give the pan you’ve been using a quick wash. Melt the remaining butter in it, don’t let it froth. Pour into the jar, for a nice, buttery seal. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week.