- 1 chicken liver
- A lump of butter the size of the liver, plus 2 tbsp to seal the top
- 1-2 prunes, thinly sliced (or 1 tbsp chopped raisins)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 3 tbsp brandy
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Pair with a glass of wine, seasonal veg and a loaf of crusty organic bread.
1. Warm a small frying pan on medium heat. Add ½ tbsp of butter and, when it's melted and frothy, add the chicken liver. Cook for 1-2 mins on each side, till the liver goes from burgundy to pinky grey. Pop the liver into a food processor or blender.
2. Put the pan back on the heat, add the prunes, thyme and garlic and let them soften. Carefully add the brandy and let it bubble up and reduce a little.
3. Scrape the mixture into the blender. Add the remaining butter, keeping back 2 tbsp for topping. Blitz till creamy, then spoon the pâté into a small jam or kilner jar.
4. Give the pan you’ve been using a quick wash. Melt the remaining butter in it, don’t let it froth. Pour the melted butter into the jar to make a seal. Store the pâté in the fridge for up to 1 week.