- 1kg brisket (unrolled)
- 6 tbsp Demerara or brown sugar
- 6 tbsp tomato purée, plus extra if needed
- 6 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- A pinch of chilli powder
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
- A pinch of ground cloves (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 150°C/Fan130°C/Gas 2.
2. Lay the brisket on a double layer of foil large enough to fully wrap around the meat.
3. Add the remaining ingredients to a saucepan. Simmeron a medium heat and stir till everything melts together and the sugar has dissolved.
4. Pour the sauce over the brisket and turn too coat it. Wrap the foil around the meat and set it on a baking tray in the centre of the oven. Cook for 3½ hrs, checking halfway through the cooking time and adding a splash of water if it looks too dry.
5. Once the meat is fall-apart tender, open the parcel up to expose the top of the brisket. Crank the oven up to 220°C/Fan 200°C/Gas 7. Pop the brisket back in the oven for about 15 mins to brown and caramelise a little on the top.
6. Set the browned brisket aside to rest for 30 mins. Slice the meat and pour the sauce into a pan to warm through. Stir in a little more tomato purée to thicken it, if needed. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more soy or spices if you like.
7. Drench the sliced meat in the sauce and bundle it into warmed baps. Lovely finished with thinly sliced spring onions (pour boiling water over them to take off their edge) and our instant, homemade pickles (type ‘pickles’ into our recipe finder online).