- A few splashes of olive oil
- 2 aubergines, cut into a small dice
- 1 smallish onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 lemon
- A handful of pitted black olives
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped (or a pinch of chilli powder)
- A large handful of fresh basil or 1 tbsp chopped rosemary leaves
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 mug of breadcrumbs
1. Place a large frying pan over medium heat. Sizzle the aubergine, onion and garlic in a bit of oil till soft and starting to colour. Add more oil, if need. Season well.
2. When it’s almost done, add a squeeze of lemon juice and grate over a good bit of zest.
3. Tip it into a food processor with the olives, chilli, balsamic vinegar and breadcrumbs. Whizz it up till everything comes together. Or just chop and mix everything up on a large cutting board.
4. Taste the mix. Add more herbs or spice if needed. If it’s a bit dry, add a splash of olive oil. If it’s too wet, add more breadcrumbs. Shape into balls. Two aubergines will give you about a dozen rounded tablespoon-sized balls.
5. Sizzle the balls in olive oil till golden all over and serve with a mound of sauced spaghetti, or just nibble them on their own.