- A few splashes of olive oil
- 2 aubergines, cut into small dice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 lemon
- A handful of black olives, stones removed
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped (or a pinch of chilli powder)
- A large handful of fresh basil or 1 tbsp chopped rosemary leaves
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 mug of breadcrumbs
1. Warm a large frying pan on medium heat. Add a little olive oil and the aubergine, onion and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and sizzle together till soft and starting to colour.
2. When nearly ready, add a squeeze of lemon juice to the pan and grate over a good bit of zest.
3. Tip the contents of the pan into a food processor. Add the olives, chilli, balsamic vinegar and breadcrumbs. Whizz till everything comes together. No processor? Just chop and mix everything up on a large cutting board.
4. Taste the mixture. Add more herbs or spice if needed. If it’s a bit dry, add a splash of olive oil. If it’s too wet, add more breadcrumbs. Shape the mixture into balls – 2 aubergines will give you about 12 rounded tablespoon-sized balls.
5. Sizzle the aubergine balls in olive oil till golden all over and serve with spaghetti and sauce, or eat as a snack on their own.