- 1 aubergine
- 1 onion
- Sea salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 400ml passata
- 400g gnocchi
- A handful of mint, leaves only
- 100g feta
1. Put a large pan of salted water on to boil. Trim the top off the aubergine, then chop it into 1cm-thick dice. Put a deep frying pan or wok on a medium heat and add 2 tbsp olive oil and the aubergine. Season with a pinch of salt and fry, stirring a few times, for 5 mins till browned all over.
2. While the aubergine fries, peel and finely chop the onion. Peel and grate or crush the garlic. Stir the onion into the aubergine and fry for 3 mins, till the onion is glossy.
3. Stir the garlic into the veg and pour in the passata. Pop on a lid and simmer the sauce for 5-6 mins, stirring once or twice, till thickened a little and the veg are tender.
4. When the water in the pan is boiling, carefully add the gnocchi. Simmer for 3-4 mins till the gnocchi float to the surface. Drain them.
5. While the gnocchi cooks, pick the leaves off the mint sprigs. Finely chop the leaves. Taste the sauce and add a pinch of salt and pepper if you think it needs it (remember the feta will be salty). Tip the gnocchi into the sauce, add half the mint and stir to mix.
6. Divide the gnocchi and sauce between 2 warm bowls or plates. Crumble over half the pack of feta and serve garnished with the last of the mint.